I am very interested in the physical characteristics and the different and unique personalities of individuals. My intrigue and curiosity of the nature of people and animals are most evident in my portraiture, which I enjoy painting very much. My detailed and traditional style of portraiture requires many hours of careful exploratory drawn and painted studies and photographs of the sitter. This assists me in determining his or her personality and physical characteristics that I may portray the sitter in a manner that is reflective of their unique individual character in the final portrait.
My preferred medium of choice is oil on canvas, employing a traditional classic oil painting technique. I am inspired by the master painters of the 18th and 19th century and in particular George Stubbs (1724-1806) and Rosa Bonheur (1822-1899) I also admire the paintings of Australian expatriate Jeffery Smart (1921- ).
Wendy Jane Sheppard B.A. HONS, F.R.S.A.S.A
- Dedicated professional portrait artist and art tutor.
- Wendy-Jane Sheppard attracts acclaim throughout Australia for her highly realistic oil paintings and graphite drawings and is a multi award winning artist and is highly regarded for her completed commissions; a comprehensive curriculum vita listing all awards is available on request.
- 2006 Bachelor of Visual Arts, Painting, University of South Australia.
- 2007 Bachelor of Visual Arts, (Honours), University of South Australia.
- Fellow and past President of the Royal South Australian Society of Arts
- Member Portrait Artists Australia
- Member AGRA, Australian Guild of Realist Artists
- Member Ringwood Artist Society
- Registered teacher of the Michael Wilcox School of Colour”